Just enough off the beaten path to enjoy what Austin has to offer besides the bats and Duck Tours, along with some of what's hot for South by Southwest. "Sleep is the enemy"

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

SXSW XX

Ironic that I JUST found some missing photos from last year, so I could theoretically wrap up last year's SXSW overview.

Yeah, right - time for the melee, there's a lot of big shows and a couple of surprises which I can't spill but I will say there's some doozies!
I can say, though, that despite my full SXSW working hours at film premieres and Town Lake, I've still come across some films and shows I'll be able to catch hopefully. Subject to change as bands might get moved around, but here's a quick list:

Wednesday
Stardeath and the White Dwarfs (the Fox and the Hound) - cool experimental band I met through MySpace, thanks to the Flaming Lips. Wayne's younger brother and his friends are in this band.
Bluebottle Kiss (TBA) - from Australia, great rock
The Black Hollies (the Jackalope) - modern day psychedelic rock
Erin Roberts (Pecan Street Alehouse) - dark folk, love the horns.
The Plimsouls (Exodus) - what can I say? A Million Miles Away is a classic.

Thursday
Charlotte Martin (the Copa) - will have to miss! love her vocal styling and syncopation, reminiscent of Kate Bush and the finer points of Tori Amos.
Immaculate Machine (Nuno's) - this trio from Victoria, B.C. is more refined pop, and also reminiscent of early Stereolab.
Jesca Hoop (the 18th floor Crowne Plaza) - odd and haunting, her music twists and turns like the river she sings of in "Seed of Wonder".
The Cloud Room (Buffalo Billiards) - catchy power pop rock from Brooklyn, NY. I can't tell if I know "Hey Now Now" from airplay or a WB show, or just that it's got that much of a hook.

Friday
Eighteenth Day of May (Emo's Junior) - will have to miss!
Silversun Pickups (Spiros) - will have to miss! Bass-driven rock, interesting vocals - Smashing Who?
The Motels (Elysium) - Oh, Martha Davis, please don't let us down!
June (Redrum) - a mySpace find, this young pop band is attractive to both tweens and adults alike.
Ordione (Numo's) - Not your mama's jazz influenced rock.

Saturday
Racoon (Red 7) - So sad about missing this one! Fun, quirky pop from the Netherlands.
Morningwood (La Zona Rosa) - have to miss! Chantal amazes me with her non-stop sexual energy, and she can drink most people I know under the table. Not for the weak of heart.
Cayto (Karma) - Glasgow, UK Brooding dark, piano rock. I thought it was Romanian jazz at first.
The Cinematics (Soho Lounge) - pretty rock, actually reminds me of the Austin band A U X
Viva l'American Death Ray (Velvet Spade) - no wave rock.
The Emeralds ( Elysium) - met these folks through myspace, and missed their past trips through Austin. Fun surf punk from Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home